Bringing together the World top junior Biologists
The International Biology Olympiad is a unique opportunity for young Biologists (secondary education) to display their talents.
Not receiving our e-mails?
- You're an IBO coordinator / jury member? Check whether you received mails from us (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the last 2 months.
If you didn't receive anything, please add "email@example.com" to your contact list or address book; and warn us!
Advisory Board meeting 2016
- The IBO Advisory Board (AB) meets on October 26 to 29 in Kiel, Germany.
- "The Steering Committee, Coordinating Centre, hosts of the two previous and forthcoming IBOs (this year: Denmark, Vietnam, UK, Iran) and coordinators from other countries meet annually to discuss and plan IBO activities.
Coordinators are welcome to submit proposals for discussion.
Participants apply to the CC 4 weeks in advance of the AB meeting (deadline = 28 September) and submit their proposals at least 14 days before the meeting (deadline = 12 October)."
- If you feel like presenting a significant contribution to the IBO, apply before 28 September 2016 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tomáš Soukup's Accident...
Our Friend Tomáš Soukup (the soul of the IBO Coordinating Center, in Prague) had a serious accident on Friday 26 February 2016. He was hit by a car while crossing a street (in a zebra passage, with green light for him...).
Reports on his health condition follow; the most recent first.
- Slight but slow improvement... Gérard Cobut visited Tomáš on August 18.
Last Thursday I paid a visit to Tomáš in hospital, together with his wife Helena and with Lenka Libusová. Compared to the preceding descriptions, my feeling is that of a slight but (very) slow improvement. Tomáš has consciousness moments (which seem to be tiring, and bring him back to sleep afterwards); he was conscious when I visited him. He can react to requests from Helena, he can open his mouth, chew some tiny pieces of fruit, swallow (carefully)...
Regarding personal contact I would say I believe Tomáš recognized me; he looked deeply in my eyes and I'd guess there was a slight expression on his face (or was it my imagination? I think it was not.)
I said a few words about IBO, that we missed him in Vietnam, etc. All I can report is that Tomáš was looking at me, closely...
Gérard (August 20, 2016)
- Fluctuating condition... no clear trend...
(July 10, 2016)
- No real improvement again...
(June 20, 2016)
- Maybe an improvement! Jan Černý visited Tomáš on May 25...
Dear IBO friends,I've just visited Tomáš in the hospital and have moderately good news. Tomáš is now located at the best place with intense long-term care for patients with neurological injuries [...]. I met Tomáš [...] in a good physical state overall and relaxed. He had open eyes with glimpses of humanity behind - quite a difference from the situation a month ago. He followed with his eyes our faces, slightly reacted to touches, voices, especially of his dog barking :-) It was obvious, how tired he was from the visit; just after he fell into deep sleep. Helena - Tomáš' wife - was there too, and she claimed that I was lucky to see Tomáš in his best from the injury, being herself surprised with the condition.Jan (May 27, 2016)
- No real improvement yet... Unfortunately
(April 15, 2016) (same situation on May 2...)
- Jan Černý gives some update: I visited Tomáš in the hospital
yesterday and I have no really good news. Tom is still not responding,
more or less vegetative, with very slow progress. It is just five weeks
from the accident and time is running extremely quickly - every week
without change is a bad news.
We all are still optimistic, even neurologists claim, that miracles
seldom happen, even in similar patients.
(April 2, 2016)
- Unfortunately we have no real good news about Tomáš. His pneumonia is
healed, he was moved to another hospital specialized for long-term care
for neurological patients... They are starting to stop with the
artificial ventilation, Tomáš' body seems to function quite well; but
with his mind it is worse... There is slight indication of slow recovery
on CT scan, but neurologists are still pessimistic.
(March 21, 2016)
- Our Friend Tomáš Soukup (the soul of the IBO Coordinating Center, in Prague) had a serious accident on Friday 26 February.
According to the latest news, Tomáš went through the surgery of first and second vertebrae successfully but he is still unconscious.
We all are hoping for the best...
(March 8, 2016)