Personal tools

Costa Rica

Costa Rican Biological Sciences Olympics

2007
www.una.ac.cr/olicocibi   (in Spanish (Costa Rica))

Dissemination of OLICOCIBI  is done through pamphlets, newsletters, bookmarks, folders and posters with information about the competition distributed in the educational regional circuits and an annual visit to each school in the country.

Personal visits to schools are made before registration looking for teachers and gives them information. The Organizing Committee members are responsible for such visits.

In addition, an invitation is published in national newspapers and a website with relevant data is regularly updated.

Parallel to the school visit strategy,  the committee  send an invitacion letter to all country schools by fax. 

 


The National University (UNA) is the lead organizer of the OLICOCIBI.
It is an elimination event at the regional level across the country and another nationwide final competition.
The first phase is in May and the second in June-July.
The National University hosts the final.


The first phase consists of a written single-selection theoretical examination of 80 points is performed at various regional campuses in the country.

The second phase for category B consists of a written theory exam with 60 points of single-selection and 20 points of reproduction / identification.
For category A, the written theory test (with 60 points and 20 single-selection reproduction / identification) is worth 70% of the final score. The remaining 30% is evaluated with an experimental test group.

This final stage is performed on the central campus of the UNA and one of its experimental stations.

The tests are developed and validated by the Organizing Committee (from the National University (UNA) School of Biological Sciences (ECB) and guests from the Ministry of Science and Technology (MICIT) and the Ministry of Public Education (MEP), members of the University of Costa Rica (UCR) and the State Distance University (UNED) are also included).


Nationally we have no control to estimate the training given to students as this is very variable for each school and is linked to commitment.

 

In the box displays the estimated referring to the training to participate in the OIAB (Ibero-American Olympiad Biology)

At home

15 days

At school

15 days

Special training camp

3 days

University

10 days


High school textbooks

X

Special designed NBO syllabus

 

University textbooks (Campbell, etc)

X

Syllabus of lecturers

 

Web based courses

 

Tests (former IBO’s and NBO’s)

X

 








medals and certificates

X

free entrance to university

 

science books

X

PC, DVD player, camera, microscope

 

scholarships

 

money

 


In UNA, the Public Relations Department sends press releases to print media and television.

 

Reports on the start of the registration process. 

Mainly provide coverage to the closing and awards, as well as Costa Rica's participation in the Ibero-American Olympiad Biology.


The following table summarizes the institutions involved in all the OLICOCIBI logistics and their contribution

Institution

Type of sponsoring

National Universtity

Money and general organization

Ministry of Science and Technology

Money

Ministry of Public Education

Organization

University of Costa Rica

Organization, study materials

State Distance University

Organization, study materials


 The ministry of education is an important component of the organizational committee, through its representing personnel OLICOCIBI coordinates efforts to reach the secondary school teachers and their students, in order to open spaces to interact directly  with them,  these spaces are particularly important because gives the opportunity to know the needs and doubts about particular subjects in biology fields, in this way the committee can organize trainings to strengthen the  knowledge  or to update it.  Additionally the ministry helps in coordinate efforts with the school principals, regional and circuit directors to include the Olympics activities into the official national calendar of school activities.


 

Year

Number of schools

Number of students

2006

Non-existing

2007

30

286

2008

132

547

2009

142

889

2010

156

1107

2011

162

1414

from February to December.
minimum 4, maximum 6.
Coordonator

MSc. José Pereira Chaves

Josè Miguel Pereira Chaves, School of Biological Sciences, postal code 86-3000 Heredia, Costa Rica
National University

Images and files:


Image for the logo JPEG image — 371 KB

Image for the poster JPEG image — 544 KB

File for the leaflet PDF document — 753 KB
by CR_camach last modified Jul 06, 2013 08:32 PM