- Established since: 1991
- Website: Official website
- Website language: French
- 1150 BRUXELLES
Association des professeurs de biologie - PROBIO asbl
Rue Vautier 29
We have 3 rounds of tests. Questions are written by a small group of volunteers brought together for this purpose (former teachers, professors, Olympiad managers...). This is done in co-operation with the Luxembourg Biology Olympiad (mix of physical meeting and video-conference).
First round (in schools)
- Theory only; multiple choice questions
Theory only; mix of multiple choice and open questions
Theory: mostly open questions
Practical work: some simple activities
For 10-15 finalists (K-12):
- two 3-days training camps in March/April
- one 2-days camp, together with the Luxembourg finalists (in Luxembourg)
For the 2 finalists who will go for IBO:
- 2-3 days camp either in May, either in July, just before departing to IBO (when applicable)
A specific syllabus is published for the 1st. round (based on the main official curriculum). See https://olympiades.be/fr/organisation/infos-programmes/programqualifbio (in French).
Teachers can buy the complete set of questions from the previous National Olympiads (starting 1991, on https://olympiades.be/fr/organisation/infos-programmes/compilquestbio).
Recommended study material is:
- Content of the Theoretical Part of IBO;
- Content of the Practical Part of IBO;
- previous IBO theoretical questions.
We're currently developing a web-based educational platform devoted to Bio Olympiad learning/training.
Begin: September 1st
End: June 30
Minimum: 1 hour/week
Maximum: 2 hours/week
Some schools may add some extra biology lessons during the school year, but this only adds small fractions of biology hours/week (absolute max. 2,3 hours/week)