- Established since: 2004
- Website: Official website
- Website language: English
We are no currently affiliated with any institution.
The two rounds take place online in April of each year.
There are two rounds:
1- The National Biology exam hosted by the University of Toronto (http://biocomp.utoronto.ca/): 4,500 participants
2- The practical portfolio . The portfolio are done by the students in their high school : 30 participants
The students, selected for the IBO, attend a 5-day camp taking place before the IBO where they will review/learn proper use of equipment found in biology labs as well as performing experiment, analyzing results, etc. The workshops are taught by professional in a variety of biology fields and take place in a university.
The students study for the theoretical exam on their own using the Campbell text book.
For the practical exam, students attend a 5-day camp taking place before the IBO where they will review/learn proper use of equipment found in biology labs as well as performing experiment, analyzing results, etc. The students are provides with handouts for the lab experiments and they learn from professional in a variety of biology fields.
● Competitors must be residents of Canada and Canadian Citizens or Landed Immigrants.
● Competitors are students of a regular secondary school for general education in Canada. In Quebec, first year CGEP students are also eligible to participate.
● Competitors have not obtained a diploma allowing them to study at a university or equivalent institution, before the 1st of January 2021.
● Competitors have not yet started study at a university or equivalent institution as part-time or full-time students.
● Competitors must be under the age of 20 as of July 1st, 2021.
● Competitors have not already participated in the IBO (can only participate once).
September to June
Information about the NBO are posted on the CBO website and Facebook.
We have also emailed teachers that signed up in previous years.
Information is usually posted beginning of January.
One of the CBO member.
Web site only
The letter is a sample letter sent to the teachers to inform them of the CBO competition.
The poster is a sample posted sent for the training camp, which is open to the 4 selected IBO students as well as students who may be interested in competing the following year.